Laboratory Technician Apprentice
|Location:||Loughborough University Campus|
|Salary:||£184.80 to £356.40 weekly|
|Contract type:||2 years|
|Start date:||01 Sep 2021|
A fantastic and unique opportunity for a Laboratory Technician Apprenticeship to join Interface Polymers Ltd in Loughborough, based at the University Campus. Ideal candidates will have a passion for Science and will be able to use their initiative. The successful candidate will receive excellent in-house training within a unique organisation.
A great opportunity to become part of Interface Polymers Ltd (IPL) Scientific Team in our polymer laboratory based at Loughborough University Campus. During your apprenticeship at IPL, some of the key areas that our world class scientists will help and support you to learn are:
- Laboratory safety
- Perform laboratory tasks using scientific methods
- Preparation for laboratory testing
- How to use laboratory equipment and instrumentation
- How to produce reliable and accurate data
- How to analyse, interpret and record data
You will become a valued part of the Interface Polymers Applications and Synthesis Team based in the Materials Department at Loughborough University.
You will be using polymer processing and test equipment in the processing laboratories to develop new innovating applications for our novel diblock copolymers – a new break through in plastic additive technology.
In return you will receive excellent training and development, as well as an exciting career within a fast paced and dynamic business.
Interface Polymers Ltd values a diverse workforce and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Your main duties will include:
- Take the lead in the maintenance of a safe, clean and tidy workplace for all by maintaining ordered workplaces e.g. storage of samples and equipment
- Keep a key piece of analytical equipment (high temperature gel permeation chromatograph) calibrated and running reproducibly and improving the standard operating procedure
- Maintain records for the maintenance schedule of lab equipment and liaising with service providers to get maintenance done
- Maintain stocks of key raw materials including chemicals, solvents and plastic resins including ordering and liaising with colleagues and or suppliers directly
- Maintain accurate records of inventory of raw materials (levels and location etc.)
- Get raw materials out and ready for the scientists/engineers to use
- Prepare standard solutions of chemicals for chemist colleagues
- Prepare samples (weighing powders and or pellets) for shipment and liaising with admin colleagues to get shipments sent
- Prepare samples (weighing powders and or pellets) for compounding
- Conducting simple lab tests to an agreed standard operating procedure
- Basic Science/lab safety skills learnt at GCSE level
- Can work on their own initiative and be a team player
- Keen to learn and ask questions
- Motivated with a ‘can do’ attitude
5 GCSE’s at Grade C/4, equivalent or above to include maths, English and Science.
Potential opportunity for a permanent role within the company following successful completion of the apprenticeship.
Things to consider
- Additional training to take place at Loughborough College to develop knowledge, skills, and behaviours to accordance to this Apprenticeship. Please ensure you are able to travel before applying
- Loughborough College has the right to close this vacancy before the end date
Things to consider before you apply:
- Do you have the ability to focus on small details?
- Are you methodical and accurate in your approach to things?
- You will be working indoors in a laboratory environment – will this suit you?