|Location:||Loughborough, Leicestershire, LE11 3AQ|
|Salary:||£22K - £25K|
|Start date:||1 June 2023|
We have an exciting opportunity for a talented and motivated Laboratory Technician to join Interface Polymers’ expanding technician team to support our world-class polymer research scientists.
- Interface Polymers’ mission is to become the global leader in compatibility and surface functionality solutions for the polyolefin industry and we need an adaptable, energetic technician with a desire to learn, to join our scientists in our Coatings and Chemical laboratories.
Your new role
- This is an excellent opening for someone wishing to extend and further develop their technician skills. We will provide the training to enable you to evolve your technician capabilities for assisting with material testing, polymer synthesis, product work-up and analysis.
Conforming to health and safety protocols, you will:
- Prepare materials and solutions for scientist and chemist colleagues
- Conduct simple laboratory tests (product work-up) to an agreed standard operating procedure
- Operate analytical equipment and compile data reports
- Schedule, record and organise servicing and maintenance of the laboratory equipment
- Order and maintain stocks of R&D chemicals and consumables
- Co-ordinate chemical waste removal
- Assist with shipping R&D samples
- Accept supplier deliveries
- Keep a safe and well organised laboratory environment
- Liaise with external University campus technicians
This role has some physical demands, including:
- Safe manual handling of gas cylinders and barrels of raw materials and waste.
What you’ll get in return
- You will become part of an exciting innovative, driven and enterprising team
- Your creativity, flexibility, desire to learn and individual responsibility will be encouraged, recognised, and rewarded
- Excellent scope for career progression
- We are a company that believes in supporting our staff by providing training opportunities and flexible working hours.
- Share option award scheme
What you need to do now
If you’re interested in this role, forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, and a brief letter of application to firstname.lastname@example.org
Interface Polymers Ltd values a diverse workforce and welcomes applications from all sections of the community.
Any offer of employment will be subject to right to work in the UK checks.
What you’ll need to succeed
An interest in scientific and technical processes within an R&D laboratory, potentially coming from a machine operator / production operative background or an industrial quality control laboratory if from the chemical sector or similar processes.
Knowledge and experience
- Working in a synthetic chemical laboratory or an industrial coating environment in R&D or production.
- Working safely with laboratory chemicals conforming to agreed health and safety protocols.
- Good manual dexterity and an eye for detail
- Accuracy and a methodical approach
- Good communication skills with a variety of audiences from technical and non-technical backgrounds
- Good inter-personal and teamworking skills
- You must possess the following attributes: Highly motivated, dynamic, proactive with a positive ‘can-do’ attitude along with good organisational skills
Knowledge and experience
- BSc in Chemistry or Materials science
- Experience of working in a commercial laboratory environment
- Plastics engineering processes e.g., compounding, extrusion and moulding.
- A background in surface science / surface chemistry
- An understanding of typical engineering plastics testing (tensile/compression/adhesion)
Experience of working in a start-up environment and developing products from low-middle TRL levels through to market launch and beyond.